Emergency Shelters

The Child and Adult Care Food Program for Emergency Shelters

The USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) provides money for healthy meals to emergency and homeless shelters in Minnesota. Whether your shelter serves healthy-made meals or commodity foods, you can receive funds for the food served to children and youth in your shelter.

Partners in Quality Care works with emergency and homeless shelters to help them sign up for the CACFP and receive funds for the healthy meals and snacks served to children and youth.

Our multi-lingual team members can take on the administrative and financial tasks of the CACFP, which includes providing forms, processing paperwork, training staff, and coordinating with the state and federal agencies on your behalf.

Am I Eligible for the CACFP?

All emergency shelters, including homeless shelters, qualify for the CACFP as long as they are a nonprofit institution or a temporary residential site sponsored by a public or private nonprofit agency. Emergency shelters do not have to be licensed to provide day care. However, the shelter must meet any health and safety codes that are required by State or local law.

How Much Work is the CACFP?

Being on the CACFP adds just a few extra steps for most emergency and homeless shelters. If you are already providing meals to the children and youth in your care, then you are already doing most of what you need to do to receive CACFP funds.

Every day, you need to:

  • Keep attendance records of the children and youth (actual names are not required)
  • Record how many children and youth ate a meal or snack using paper or an easy mobile app
  • Record the menu for every meal and every snack

Every month, you need to:

  • Send your meal counts, menus, and receipts to Partners in Quality Care

Every year, you need to:

  • Receive training from Partners in Quality Care

Let us Sponsor You on the CACFP

Your membership in the CACFP will require monthly communication with the Minnesota Department of Education as well as the USDA. Our experienced team will coordinate all communication and paperwork with these agencies on your shelter’s behalf so you can focus on the people and families you’re serving.

As a federal program, the CACFP requires rigorous recordkeeping. Navigating the large amounts of paperwork and forms can be difficult. Our team can help you fill out and submit your shelter’s CACFP application, as well as provide you with the forms needed to be successful on the CACFP.

Our team will help you understand and submit the initial application forms, as well as process your paperwork so you can continue receiving CACFP funds.

We provide education and training for your employees and volunteers on the CACFP requirements. This helps them understand the rules for menus, meal service and paperwork.

In special circumstances, we can hold a contract for catered meals for your program and also arrange for delivery of pre-packaged, shelf-stable breakfast and snack items. In this arrangement, you do not receive funds as we use the money to pay the caterer and food supplier for the food you are receiving at no cost to your program.

*Not available in every area, please contact us if you are interested in this option.

Ready to Get Started?

Partners in Quality Care has been a leading CACFP sponsor and child care advocate for many years. If your emergency shelter could benefit from funds to pay for food, contact us today! We can help you navigate all the paperwork and processes of the USDA’s Child and Adult Care Food Program.

Nondiscrimination statement: In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email: program.intake@usda.gov.

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.