At-RiskAfter School

After School Programs

Help the children in your community get the nutrition they need outside of school. The USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) provides money for healthy, nutritious meals at qualifying afterschool programs in Minnesota.

You can participate in the CACFP if your afterschool program is in a geographic area that is designated as low-income by the USDA. You can view the map here or give us a call, and we can help you determine if you qualify.

To be eligible, your program must:

  • Be officially organized. Your program must be an official, organized afterschool care program, set for a specific time. This can be after school hours, on the weekends, holidays, or school vacations during normal school hours.
  • Provide activities. Your program should have regularly scheduled activities in a structured, supervised environment.
  • Be educating/enriching. Your organized program must have educational and enriching learning opportunities for the children.
  • Be located in a low-income area. The USDA and the Minnesota Department of Education require your afterschool program to be in an area near a public school (elementary, middle, or high school), where more than half of the students are below the poverty line.

The experts at Partners in Quality care have put together two different ways that your afterschool program can participate in the CACFP. Choose the model that works best for you:

If your afterschool program makes their own meals or wants to hold a contract for meals, then these are your CACFP tasks:

Every day, you need to:

  • Keep attendance records
  • Record how many children ate the food by using paper or an easy mobile app
  • Record your menu

Every month, you need to:

  • Send your meal counts, menus and receipts to Partners in Quality Care

Every year, you need to:

  • Receive training from Partners in Quality Care

With this way of participating, you will receive a check every month from Partners in Quality Care that you can use to pay for food.​​​

If your afterschool program doesn't prepare meals and doesn't want to hold a catering contract, Partners in Quality Care will hold the catering contract on your behalf.

If you choose this model, the meals will be delivered to your program at no cost to you. Partners in Quality Care will retain the CACFP funds to pay for the meals that we order for your program.

If you participate this way, you need to:

  • Keep attendance records
  • Record how many children ate the food using paper or an easy mobile app

Every year, you need to:

  • Receive training from Partners in Quality Care

Once you’ve chosen the model that works best for your after-school program, the team at Partners in Quality Care can help from there.

Let Us Sponsor You!

  • Coordinate with Agencies
    From the beginning, your participation in the CACFP will require communication with the Minnesota Department of Education as well as the USDA. Our trained team will coordinate all communication and paperwork to these agencies on your program’s behalf so you can focus on the children you’re serving.
  • Provide Forms
    As a federal program, the CACFP requires rigorous recordkeeping. Navigating the large amounts of paperwork and forms can be difficult. Our team can help you fill out and submit your program’s CACFP application, as well as provide you with the forms needed to be successful on the CACFP.
  • Process Paperwork
    Our team will help you understand and submit the initial application forms, as well as process your paperwork so you can continue receiving CACFP funds.
  • Provide Training
    We provide education and training for your employees and volunteers on the CACFP requirements. This helps them understand the rules for menus, meal service and paperwork.

Ready to Get Started?

If your afterschool program could benefit from funds to help pay for food, contact us today! We can help you navigate all the paperwork and processes of the USDA’s Child and Adult Care Food Program.

Nondiscrimination statement: In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) Mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.